IT SYSTEMS ENGINEER, OPERATIONS
Reports to: IT Operations Manager
Functional Group/Dept: Information Technology
The Systems Engineer is responsible for the effective installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. Works independently in the analysis and documentation of software and system requirements then coordinates the development, implementation, and production of integrated technology systems. Responsible for application security process, user setup, role privilege definition, assignment and security permissions. May advice on procedural and workflows plans, methods and procedures analysis. Analyzes the results of monitoring the operating systems and recommends changes to improve processing and utilization. This position does not develop code.
- Maintains a Local Area Network consisting of Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac systems.
- Responsible for configuration, operation, maintenance and integration with applications via API, Webservice calls, workflow or other automated methods.
- Assesses operational and support processes and develops efficiencies through process or application improvements.
- Develops and maintains system monitoring applications and associated processes to verify the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems, support tasks and key processes.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, operation and maintenance of the internal systems and tools.
- Assists other System Engineers to configure and install VMware, Microsoft servers and network equipment and security systems along with the installation of third-party software as part of a mixed server, VMware and Cisco networking infrastructure.
- Manages and maintains end-user access to systems, services, servers, devices and desktop/laptop computers. Keeps users informed on the progress of maintenance. Documents activities utilizing an ITIL based ticket tool. Submits monthly reports on significant activity to the IT Manager.
- Partners with the LAN group to provide information on and escalate issues. Works with the appropriate IT group to promptly resolve situations. Initiates and follows through with other team members in preparing written documentation of work activities related to installations, upgrades and designs made to hardware systems and software. Supports division-wide intranet resources for users of the network, hardware and software systems.
- Works with other team members and Corporate IT to implement a consistent network-wide environment within the business organization. Participates in, and conducts as necessary, training for applications and assists with providing instruction to further the understanding of network and/or application function.
- Maintains relevant technical knowledge to help Hunter Douglas succeed and thrive in Information Technology. Partners with the business to understand where applications can be the most efficient.
- Develops and maintains a Disaster Recovery process on assigned systems and participates in Disaster Recovery exercises when scheduled.
- Provides a computing environment for Hunter Douglas employees to create, build and deliver high quality products. Provides high quality service to all customers.
- Leads initiatives on the Microsoft Windows server platform. Keeps server patching up-to-date through automated processes. Develops and maintains operating system and data backup procedures.
- Administers a TCP/IP network infrastructure including VLAN’s and various wireless topologies.
- Administers a Netware environment utilizing Netware, OES and Suse Linux.
- PC delivery through imaging and automated application deployment.
- Gains knowledge and understands responsibilities of other areas in the department to assist and provide backup when called upon.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KSA’S FOR EMPLOYMENT
- Basic knowledge of Mac infrastructure and ability to integrate a hybrid environment for the Mac platform
- Solid knowledge of VMware
- Solid knowledge of platforms that will consolidate servers and deliver a high level of availability
- Solid knowledge with virtual PC’s and applications to increase application performance and reduce administration
- Solid knowledge of patching, software installs via Dell Kace
- Solid knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Identity Management skillset
- Solid knowledge of IT security
- Ability to demonstrate strong documentation skills for standard operating procedures and other required documentation
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot and problem solve
- Ability to work with others in IT and end users
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently while maintaining high level of quality and effectiveness
Training and Experience: BS degree in Computer Science or five years of related experience combined with technical certification. ITIL Foundation Certification, MCSE or equivalent training on relevant releases of Microsoft Server product, Strong VMware skill set (experience). Understanding of operating systems at an advanced level: Mac OS. Understanding of operating systems at a basic level: Linux, Android, iOS. Strong scripting skills, Cisco networking knowledge on TCP/IP networks including routing and switching. VLAN and wireless architecture design and implementation.